Thoughts on 'Women.
By Max O'Reil
1. Woman is an angel who may become a de- e sister of mercy who may change into viper, ladybird who may be transformed into
Sometimes she never changes, and all her lifi- time angel, sister of mercy, ladybird. and sweet fragrant flower. It depends a great deal on the gardener.
2. The Lord took from man a with which he made a woman. As soan this process was finished, woman back to man, and took the rest of him, which she has kept ever since.
3. Women were not born to but they have enough inborn power to govern man who commands, and, as a ride, the best and happiest marriages are those where women have most authority, and her advice is oftenest followed.
4. A man may be as perfect us you like, he will never be but a rough diamond until he has been cut and polished by the delicate hand of a woman.
Max O'Rell（1848—1903）法蘭西人也。本名Paul Bloueto授法蘭西語於倫敦St. Paul's School。納英女為室。善為諷刺文。論評著作。 言英倫風土者為多。所著『英人及其鄉土』。（英名JohnBullandHisIsland. 法名JohnBull et Son Ile.）最知名。其書頗嘲英人。而英人無不樂觀之。晚年居巴黎。任New York Jouanal.之通信員。五、世間男子凡三種。有置身誘惑而抗之者。有懼其陷溺而避之者。有進而求之者。其以戀愛為人生第一義者。惟於第一種男子中見之。
5. There are three kinds of men: those who will come across temptations and resist them, them for fear of succumbing, and those who seek them. among the are to be found only men whose for a woman is the first consideration of their lives.
6. Men who always praise women do not know them ; men who always speok ill of them do not know them at all.
7. Men study women, and form opinions, generally wrong ones, womon look at men, guess their character, and seldom make mistakes.
8. It is a great misfortune not, to be loved by the one you low; but it is a still greater one to be loved by the one whom you ceased to love.
9. I am not prepared to say that celibacy is to marriage; it has, however, this decided advantage over it: a bachelor always cease to be one the moment he has discovered that he has made a mistake.
10. A woman knows that a man who in love with her long before he does. A women's intuition is keener then her sight; in fact, it is a sixth sense given to her y nature, and which is more powerful them the other five put together.
上帝取Adam.之肋骨造Eve.事見舊約創世記。俗傳女子肋骨廿五。 較男子多一條云。as a rule=susally. wrong ones=wrong opinions. celibacy is preferable（寧取）to marriage. 與其結婚寧取獨身之義。over it 之it。 乃marriage 之代名詞。before he does.=before he knows. nature=天然